Please Rate This Article:
- DG Rating:
If you like this article, then please give us a rating by locating “user rating” (see below) and click on a star between 1-5. If you like this article, then please share this page on your favorite social media platform. We appreciate you taking the time to visit our site.
User Review( vote)
If you are a busy blogger then you need all of the help you can get. Google has some great apps that you can use to improve your efficiency by achieving more in less time. Using Google apps can really give you an edge with your blogging, so here we will take a look at the top 5 Google apps that every blogger should use in 2019.
Some Google apps have been around for many years and really stood the test of time. Google has now put these apps together in a package they call G Suite. Google is aiming G Suite at business users and provides them with some excellent tools for a small monthly fee. As a blogger, you can still use these apps for free.
With G Suite you get the following benefits over the free apps:
- 30 GB of storage space with Google Drive rather than 15 GB
- Tech support 24/7
- A business email account that has a guaranteed uptime of 99.9%
In our opinion, the free versions of the apps will meet the needs of most bloggers. You can decide if you want to upgrade.
1. Google Docs
A lot of bloggers use a word processor app such as Microsoft Word to compose their blog posts prior to publishing them. This is a good practice as it is easier to edit posts. There is no need for you to purchase Microsoft Word as a word processor. You can use Google Docs for free to increase your productivity.
If you are used to using Microsoft Word then the transition to Google Docs will be painless. It has a similar interface and a lot of similar features. One advantage that Google Docs has over installed word processors is collaboration.
These days more and more bloggers are collaborating over posts. It is really easy to create a Google doc and share it immediately with another blogger anywhere in the world. This is a lot better than using email and attaching documents.
A lot of bloggers give away free resources from their blog. If you want to give something away like a worksheet, checklist or any other kind of document then you need to consider your audience. They will not all have access to Microsoft Word. A free Google Sheet is the ideal answer here.
You can use Google Docs for planning other content too, such as material for an online course or emails you plan to send to your subscribers. It is really easy to use Google Docs for brain dumps and general planning. So the advantages of using Google Docs as a blogger are:
- It’s free unlike Microsoft Word
- You can use it for composing your blog posts
- It is easy to collaborate with other bloggers
- You can use it to provide free resources
- It is great for brain dumps and general planning
2. Google Sheets
If you want to be a successful blogger then it is essential that you organize everything well. A spreadsheet can be very useful here as it provides you with a lot of flexibility. Most people are familiar with Microsoft Excel and it is certainly a very good spreadsheet application, but you can organize everything and more with free Google Sheets.
There are several advantages to using Google Sheets over Microsoft Excel:
- Google Sheets are free
- You can organize your social posts such as Tweets in a Google Sheet and then integrate with Google Calendar (more on this below) so that they go out on time
- Bloggers tend to perform a lot of research and you can store results in a Google Sheet. You can automate research from Twitter straight into a Google Sheet
- You need to know how your social campaigns are doing so keep a record of those key metrics in a Google Sheet
- It is easy to create graphs of your social numbers in Google Sheets
3. Google Calendar
A successful blogger will always plan ahead. They will create a blog posting schedule and have an editorial calendar. You do not want to leave any important tasks to chance so using Google Calendar is a great way to plan and stay organized.
When you use Google Calendar you can do much more than just schedule tasks. You can add more information to the task, and even attach important documents so that you have everything at your fingertips.
Here are some of the great ways you can use Google Calendar:
- Create your blogging schedule so you know what you need to do and by when
- Schedule appointments – never forget that important interview or collaboration discussion with another blogger
- Add an attachment to the calendar event
- Get notifications on your device 10 minutes before an event is due
- Integrate Google Calendar with a number of other third-party applications
4. Cloud storage using Google Drive
As a blogger, you will have important documents, images, and other media that you need to store safely. Yes, you can store them on your hard drive or a removable media device, but these can go wrong and you can end up losing vital information.
Cloud storage is the perfect answer here. You can store your vital files with confidence and easily retrieve them when you need them. With the free version of Google Drive, you get 15 GB of space which will probably be enough for most bloggers. If you need more space then it is easy to upgrade.
Google Drive integrates seamlessly with other Google apps including:
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- Google Forms
- Google Photos
- Gmail – you can save attachments to Google Drive
5. Google Forms
As a blogger, you want to keep in touch with your audience and understand what problems they have and what they are looking for. One of the best ways that you can do this is to ask them to participate in a short survey.
Creating a survey with Google Forms is very easy and convenient. It is all drag and drop. You can use the drop-down menu to create different types of questions such as choosing from a list, multiple choice or short and long answers.
With Google Forms, you can monitor responses in real time. If you prefer to use a Google Sheet for the analysis then it is easy to integrate the raw data from your surveys. Each Google Form has a unique URL and you can easily send this to your audience for their participation.
So the main benefits of using Google Forms are:
- Very easy to create an online survey or quiz
- Real-time analysis of responses
- Integration with Google Sheets
- No messing around integrating forms into your blog
Use these five Google Apps to become a more efficient blogger. They are all easy to use and will help you to stay organized and save a lot of time and money. All of the apps are very high quality as you would expect from Google.
You can learn more about G Suite here. We recommend that you start off with the free version of the apps and then you can decide whether you need the features of the G Suite subscription.
Check out these articles:
- 40 Ways To Make Money Guest Blogging
- How To Create Your Own Digital Shop
- How I Earn $2000 A Month!
- How To Shop Smarter, Not Harder!
- 12 Best Sites To Sell Your Ebook Online
Top 5 Google Apps That Every Blogger Should Use In 2019